Hemorrhoids are skin conditions that are located in the rectal and anal areas. The swelling and inflammation of hemorrhoids are also generally accompanied by itching, burning, pain or even bleeding. The actual word hemorrhoid refers to the rectal and anal tissue that is connected to the cushions that surround the general area. This tissue is very sensitive and filled with veins. It is the swelling of the veins in this area that create the pain and are termed hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids generally most often appear in individuals over the age of 50, but can affect people of all ages, ethnicity and backgrounds. The leading causes of hemorrhoids include:
- the increased pressure on the rectal and anal veins that occurs with age;
- digestive problems like diarrhea and constipation;
- poor diet containing a very low intake of fiber;
- lifting of heavy objects, or playing very physical sports;
- hypertension; and
- other health-related issues.
If you experiencing any of the symptoms of hemorrhoids please consult one of our physicians and seek an appointment for a consultation.